Friday, May 14, 2010

I am 28 and my mum is giving me grief about my partner!?

My partner of 4 yrs %26amp; I are currently on a break (see my previous Q) his dad recently died and he is taking some time to clear his head %26amp; get some space. For the past 6 weeks we have taken a large step back %26amp; hardly seen each other. I dont really understand how he is feeling (I have never lost a parent) %26amp; he reacts differently to things than I do.


The trouble is, not only am I trying to deal with us being on "a break" which is hard (I really miss him %26amp; am scared that he will get over me %26amp; forget me %26amp; not come back) but my mum keeps on telling me how he is being selfish, cruel, wrong towards me %26amp; I should end things. As soon as I get to grips with why he needs time %26amp; feel reassured she bowls in and makes me feel all wobbly again. I have tried to explain to her that its not helpful to me or the situation to have her be so negative. She says that she cannot and will not understand him. the whole situation is just getting too much. Plus I live with my mum (still) so cannot walk away

I am 28 and my mum is giving me grief about my partner!?
sorry girl but i've just got to ask, what on earth are you still doing living at home? no wonder your mum thinks she's entitled to have an opinion in your personal relationships,i'm really sorry but i've just got to tell you how it is: 1 find your own place and move out.(you've been wiyh your boyfriend for 4 years and if you were living together he wouldn't find the need to have a break from you because you would be showing some maturity and he would know he could relly on you,plus your mum wouldn't be interfering. 2 stop feeling sorry for yourself, he's the 1 tha's just lost a parent so show him some support by refusing to have a break, show him how much he means to you by being there, by listening by letting him know you don't have to of lost a parent to understand how he is feeling or what he must be going thru, by staying positive in the moments of need, by picking him up when he's down, by making him realize that he should remember the good things that him and his dad shared instead of what ifs, by showing him what he's got to live for. good luck.
Reply:I can see how this would be unnerving, but remember your Mom loves you and wants good thing for you and that is why she is doing this.





I think you are way too old to be living with her for this very reason. Her natural instinct is to take care of her offspring - she is not able to leave you alone just because you are 28. So if you don't want to hear her opinion about it everyday, you need your own place. Tell her you love her and you'll live nearby and visit often! But your lives should be separate - she cant just stop acting like a mom! It's not fair for you to expect her to.


No comments:

Post a Comment